CONFIRMATION OF INSURANCE COVER
For total peace of mind, it is a requirement that all our customers’ goods are insured. The Self Storage Company Open Cover Policy is a policy that we hold to insure our customers’ goods whilst they are in store at The Self Storage Company. We agree to extend rights under our policy to you in connection with your stored goods. Our policy is specially designed for self-storage, so you can be sure that your goods are well protected.
This insurance will indemnify the Insured Customer of the self storage company in respect of physical loss destruction or damage to the property of the Insured due to an Insured Peril occurring whilst in the self storage premises subject to the details specified in the Schedule and the terms, conditions and exclusions detailed in the Clauses as follows.
Underwritten 100% by certain Underwriters at Lloyds.
2) INSURED PERILS
Actual physical loss of or damage to your property caused by Fire, Lightning, Explosion, Earthquake, Storm, Flood, Escape of Water or other Liquid Substance, Theft Accompanied by Forcible and Violent Entry or Exit, Riot, Strike, Civil Commotion, Malicious Damage, Impact, Moth Insect or Vermin from an External Cause.
3) TOTAL SUM INSURED
As requested by you and shown in the Schedule above, the total sum insured shall not exceed £25,000 unless confirmed in writing by us. The total sum insured can be increased on payment of an additional fee, subject to Insurers’ prior agreement.
4) UNDER-INSURANCE (AVERAGE)
If you fail to declare the full new replacement value of your property, in the event of a claim you will only be entitled to recover from Insurers the proportion of the loss as the declared value bears to the full new replacement value of your property – if you under-insure you may well suffer.
5) PAIRS & SETS
Where any items are part of a pair or of a set insurers shall only pay for the actual items which are lost or damaged. No payment will be made by Insurers for any items which are part of a pair or of a set and which are not lost or damaged.
6) BASIS OF CLAIMS SETTLEMENT
The settlement of any claim shall be by replacement, repair and/or compensation at Insurer’s option. In the event of the total loss or destruction of any item insured under this Insurance, the basis of settlement shall be the cost of replacing the item as new provided that the item is substantially the same as but not better than the original when new.
Household linen and clothing
Where any claim includes loss of or damage to any item(s) of household linen and clothing only, Insurers will take into consideration the age, quality, degree of use and consequent market value of any such lost or damaged item(s).
Where any claim includes loss of or damage to documents, the basis of settlement shall be to indemnify you for reasonable costs of reprinting and/or reasonable costs of reissue and/or reconstitution including, where applicable, fresh research or exploration to obtain essential information.
7) POLICY EXCESS
Insurers will not pay the first £50 of each claim.
8) TIME LIMIT FOR CLAIMS
All claims must be notified to us at the time of discovery of the loss of or damage to your property or at the time of removal of your property from the unit, whichever is the soonest.
9) LAW AND JURISDICTION
The parties are free to choose the law and jurisdiction applicable to this insurance contract. Unless specifically agreed to the contrary, this Insurance shall be subject to English law and the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of England and Wales.
10) DUTY OF DISCLOSURE
It is your responsibility to ensure that all material facts have been disclosed to Insurers i.e. any facts which may affect Insurers’ view of the risk. If you are unsure of whether a fact which has not been detailed in the Insurance Application you have completed needs to be disclosed, it is recommended that details are provided to Insurers for consideration. Please also ensure that all the information provided by you in the Insurance Application are correct as these details will form the basis of the insurance contract between you and Insurers. If your circumstances change between the date you purchase the policy and the date when you require the policy to commence, please tell us. Incorrect information or failure to disclose all material facts could invalidate all or part of the cover and result in a claim being declined.
11) PROPERTY COVERED SUBJECT TO SPECIFIED LIMITATIONS
Unless agreed otherwise in writing by us, the following limitations apply:-
* Jewellery, Watches, Precious Stones, Stamps of all kinds combined total £50
* Furs, fine arts, mobile phones, perfumery, tobacco, cigars, cigarettes, beers, wines, spirits and the like combined total for all such items of £10,000 Electronic items combined total of £10,000
* Electronic items are defined as all items of consumer and commercial electrical appliances and instruments including but not limited to radios, televisions, computers, computer software, hard drives, chips, microchips, printed circuit boards and their components, modems, monitors, cameras, facsimile machines, photocopiers, VCR’s, hi-fis, stereos, CD players and the like. (Heavy electrical items such as switchgear, turbines, generators and the like shall be deemed not to be electronics.)
12) EXCLUDED PROPERTY
* Money, Coins, Bullion, Deeds, Bonds, Securities and the like; Livestock
* Explosives and Flammables
* Loss of data records other than cost of blank data carrying materials.
13) EXCLUDED CAUSES
1) Any consequence of war, invasion, act of foreign enemy, hostilities (whether war be declared or not), civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection or military or usurped power or confiscation or nationalisation or requisition or destruction of or damage to your property by or under the order of any government or public or local authority.
2) Further Financial loss of any kind or description.
3) Loss or damage from;
i) ionising radiation from or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste or from the combustion of nuclear fuel
ii) the radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous or contaminating properties of any nuclear installation, reactor or nuclear assembly or nuclear component thereof
iii) any weapon of war employing atomic or nuclear fission and/or fusion or other like reaction or radioactive force or matter.
iv) the radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous or contaminating properties of any radioactive matter. The exclusion in this sub-clause does not extend to radioactiveisotopes, other than nuclear fuel, when such isotopes are being prepared, carried, stored or used for commercial, agricultural, medical, scientific or other similar peaceful purposes.
4) Loss or damage from:
i) any chemical, biological, bio-chemical or electromagnetic weapon
ii) the use or operation, as a means for inflicting harm, of any computer, computer system, computer software program, computer virus or process or any other electronic system.
5) Loss of or damage to your property directly caused by pressure waves caused by aircraft and other aerial devices travelling at sonic or supersonic speeds.
6) If at the time of loss there is other insurance in force this Insurance shall only respond to the extent that losses are not recoverable under the other insurance.
7) This insurance shall be voidable in the event of misrepresentation, mis-description or non-disclosure in any material particular.
8) If the claim be in any respect fraudulent, or if any fraudulent means or devices be used by the Insured or any one claiming indemnity under this Insurance or any one acting on his ortheir behalf, to obtain any benefit under this insurance, or if any loss or damage be occasioned by the wilful act or with the connivance of the Insured, or any one claiming indemnity under this Insurance, all benefit under this Insurance will be forfeited.
14) CLAIMS PROCEDURE
If your goods become lost or damaged and you wish to make a claim on this insurance, please contact us for a claim form.
Any claimant under this insurance shall at the request and at the expense of the Insurers do and concur in doing and permit to be done all such acts and things as may be necessary or reasonably required by the Insurers for the purpose of enforcing any rights and remedies, or of obtaining relief or indemnity from other parties to which the Insurers shall be or would become entitled or subrogated upon their paying for or making good any loss or damage under this insurance, whether such acts and things shall be or become necessary or required before or after his indemnification by the Insurers.
15) CUSTOMER SERVICE AND COMPLAINTS
If you feel you have not been offered a first class service please write and tell us and we will do our best to resolve the problem. In the unlikely event you remain dissatisfied, please contact The Insurance Administrator: Reason Global Insurance, Lyndean House, 43-46 Queens Road, Brighton, East Sussex BN1 3XB.
If you are unable to resolve the situation and wish to make a complaint you can refer it to the Complaints Department at Lloyds’ who may, in certain circumstances be able to review the matter. Their address is: Complaints Department, Lloyds, One Lime Street, London EC3M 7HA Tel No: 020 7327 5693 Fax No: 020 7327 5225 E-mail: complaints@Lloyds.com
In the event that the Complaints Department is unable to resolve your complaint it may in certain circumstances be possible for you to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service at: South Quay Plaza,183 Marsh Wall, London, E14 9SR Tel No: 0845 080 1800 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Financial Services Compensation Scheme
Lloyd’s is covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. You may be entitled to compensation from the Scheme if we cannot meet our obligations to you under this contract. If you were entitled to compensation under the Scheme, the level and extent of the compensation would depend on the nature of this contract. Further Information about the Scheme is available from the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (7th floor Lloyd’s Chambers, Portsoken Street, London E1 8BN) and on their website: www.fscs.org.uk
Office Opening Hours
Monday to Fridays
8am - 6pm
8am - 5pm
10am - 4pm
Free 24 Hour Access to Self Storage