Our home garage space can often become a dumping ground for everything from fishing rods and camping gear to unfinished DIY projects and sporting equipment, rather than a safe space to park your vehicle.
Using a self-storage unit is an excellent way to help you get organized and keep your garage clutter-free. Our secure and affordable self-storage units at The Self Storage Company can also be used as extra space for storing items that you don’t have room for in your home.
By using a self-storage unit, items won’t take up valuable garage floor space, while still being readily accessible if needed. Another great benefit of using a self-storage unit is that you can store seasonal items such as holiday decorations without taking up much room during other times of the year.
Save Floor Space with these Garage Storage Ideas
When it comes to decluttering and organising your garage, it’s important to separate items into two categories – ‘must-keep’ and ‘can-let-go’. Decide what items are essential for use in the near future, and what can be stored away for the time being. Once you have a clear idea of what needs to go into storage, you can start selecting a self-storage unit size.
How do I organise my garage storage?
Here are five garage storage ideas:
- Invest in garage storage cabinets to help you keep your items organised and easily accessible. A variety of shapes and sizes of cabinets are available to suit your exact needs.
- Make the most of overhead storage space and install ceiling-mounted storage systems or shelves to store items such as holiday decorations, sports equipment, or large power tools.
- Make use of wall space with wall-mounted garage storage racks for smaller items like bike helmets, all your cleaning supplies and garden tools.
- Use labelled storage bins or baskets to store loose items so that everything has a designated place. This can also help you quickly locate what you’re looking for.
- Utilise clear bins or plastic drawers to store smaller items such as nails, screws, and loose parts. This will make it easier for you to find the items when needed and keep them organised and out of sight.
Selecting the Right Self-Storage Space
Once you have a clear idea of what needs to go into storage, you can start selecting a self-storage unit size.
It is important to consider factors such as size, security features, and location when selecting a self-storage unit. We offer secure self-storage in North and East London and the surrounding counties of Surrey, Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Essex.
Along with our range of home storage units, we also offer innovative drive-up storage units at SureStore which can be directly accessed by your vehicle making them suitable for easy loading and unloading.
Take a look at our Self-Storage Size Guide before selecting the right-sized self-storage unit for your needs.
Packing and Preparing Your Items for Self-Storage
When it comes to packing your items for storage, it is important to remember that proper packing and preparation will ensure your belongings stay safe and secure.
Items such as furniture, appliances, clothing, books or boxes can all be stored in a self-storage unit but should be prepped before being placed inside the unit. This includes making sure any drawers are emptied of their contents and that heavier items are securely wrapped with protective covers or blankets so they don’t get scratched while in transit.
Additionally, if you have delicate items like electronics make sure they’re properly packed beforehand using bubble wrap or other cushioning materials to help avoid damage while moving them into the unit.
Discover The Self Storage Company guide to packing for self-storage.
Benefits of Using The Self Storage Company
Using a self-storage facility as a home garage organizer is an excellent way to maximize space and de-clutter your living environment. Not only does this help create more room for the things that you need but it also ensures that all of your possessions are kept safe and secure.
Reclaiming your garage space? Book a secure self-storage unit at The Self Storage Company today!
You’ll receive up to 50% off your first 8 weeks of self-storage when you book online.